Helping Clients Legally Separate For Over 30 Years
The lawyers at the Buffalo-based Venzon Law Firm PC have been helping clients legally separate from their spouses and move forward with their lives for 36 years. Together, we will help you find your happily ever after.
Venzon Law Firm PC assists all clients seeking a legal separation in Buffalo, Niagara Falls and all of Western New York. We help negotiate and prepare amicable agreements and property settlements through attorney-client negotiation. We will work with your spouse’s attorney to settle your case to avoid going to court.
Separation Before Divorce
Separation allows a legal framework for couples to protect their property rights and address issues regarding children while living separate and apart. Separation provides the right option in many situations, such as the following:
- It provides time and space for couples to seek counseling and take other steps to work on their marriage.
- It allows couples to live apart when religious concerns prevent them from pursuing divorce.
- It offers couples the opportunity to test living separately and apart.
- It provides a legal agreement that can be converted into a divorce, reducing the cost, time and stress of a contested matrimonial lawsuit.
Similarities And Differences Between Divorce And Legal Separation
Couples must decide on many of the same basic issues in a legal separation as those involved in a divorce. A legal separation allows couples to remain married and continue certain benefits, such as the following:
- Spousal coverage of insurance benefits
- Years continue to accrue toward the 10-year marriage requirement to collect spousal Social Security benefits
- Filing joint tax returns
- Retention of certain rights of inheritance
- Legal separation for one year also provides valid grounds for divorce under New York law
Experienced Attorneys Can Help Find The Right Solutions For Their Clients
The experienced lawyers at Venzon Law Firm PC can help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of a legal separation. Our firm has more than three decades of experience providing skilled and compassionate legal support to clients seeking help in a wide range of sensitive family legal matters. Contact us at 716-262-8282 to learn how we can help.